Canoeing and Kayaking go back to the dawn of human culture. The word “kayak” literally means “hunter’s boat.” The kayak was useful for transport, but it was a miraculous hunting tool, facilitating a quiet approach towards one’s desired prey. The covered deck of the kayak made it more sea-worthy and better able to shed waves than the traditional canoe. Kayaks are mostly used during summer months, primarily for hunting and fishing.
Similar to the kayak, the umiak is a larger boat which can carry up to 20 people. The umiak and the kayak existed side by side, both finding useful niches for transporting and hunting throughout history.
Kayak design varied according to the specific needs of inhabitants of particular regions. For instance, early kayaks designed by inhabitants surrounding the Bering Straight were wider and shorter. Whereas the kayaks from Greenland were sleek and low. Kayaks from Baffin Island were wider and longer.
The kayak was first created by the Inuit, an artic people. Interestingly, despite being the birth place of the kayak, very little archaeological evidence of the covered kayak can be found on the Siberian Coast.
Early Eskimos made kayak frames using driftwood, and early kayaks were wrapped in sealskins.
In fact, most early kayaks were fabricated using wood for the frame and then tied together using sinew, or tendons, with a seal skin cover. Kayaks were virtually unsinkable with air-filled seal bladders. Today, very few traditional skin kayaks are still in use and the knowledge of their construction is quickly fading. Other early kayaks were made from whalebone or driftwood.
The materials that have been used to make a kayak have changed significantly with the years. Europeans eventually discovered the versatility of the kayak, and kayaks once designed with sealskins were designed by Europeans with fabric covers. This method continued until the 1950’s when a company known as Valley Products began producing the first fiberglass kayak. Then in 1984, the first plastic kayak was introduced. Kayaks continue to become lighter, sturdier, and more versatile.
Now there are several types of kayaks designed with various materials suitable for a variety of sporting events. Today, kayaking is accessible to all skill levels, providing a quiet and gas-free form of breathtaking travel, exploration and exercise…..
What is so unique about a luxury motor yacht charter? The list goes on and on, but the most poignant trait may be it is the only vacation you will ever take where you get both the control of calling all the shots and the pampering of an all inclusive vacation package. Whether you choose a motor boat or sailboat charter you will be on the trip of a lifetime. Hire a crew to make your vacation even more carefree and you’ll never travel any other way again.
Destinations of the Sea
A typical vacation for you may have been to some pretty exciting or peaceful destinations. Chances are you booked your flight and hotel online or through a travel agent then anxiously awaited your vacation. You fly to a specific airport then perhaps rent a car to use public transportation. Next you see all the sites within a day’s drive of your hotel, hope your flight home and it all becomes a distant memory as you try desperately to recuperate from your adventure.
When travelling aboard a luxury motor yacht charter the experience is entirely different. First and foremost you are not limited by geography and you don’t have to worry about booking a hotel for each city you visit. Your luxury suite travels with you along with your personal chef and butler. On top of that, all of your closest friends and family can come along.
Luxury yacht vacation packages that also include a flight to the departing port can range from weekend trips around the Caribbean Islands and the Bahamas to week long travels to the Mediterranean sea. Generally the Caribbean is reached via Miami and European Islands and those in the Mediterranean are reached by a number of different departure cities. The all inclusive trip is yours for the designing. You choose where you will stop and how long you will stay. There are no other passengers to accommodate other than those you have invited so the choice is yours.
What Is It Like Aboard a Luxury Motor Yacht Charter?
Imagine the finest hotel with the best restaurant in the city at your disposal 24/7 and you only begin to see the luxury of a privately chartered cruise. Now add to that the best a private spa has to offer with exercise equipment, a spa tub and steam room and refreshing dips in a private pool. Now you are getting closer to the luxury of a private charter.
Accommodations are not the only aspect of luxury. Service that is top notch and available around the clock adds to the overall experience. A well trained and knowledgeable crew is always at your disposal. This includes the skipper, a first mate, the finest chefs, and discretely efficient housekeeping services. After experiencing such service you’ll want to take the crew home with you so you can extend the luxury of this type of travel.
Make a date with luxury by taking an online tour and reserving one of the finest sailing vessels on the sea. Your next trip will be the standard by which all others are measured.
Boating is a great adventure on any type of boat and is being enjoyed by many on a daily basis, but with that comes a great responsibility. It is not mandatory to do a boating course at this time but there are some very good reasons to get your self informed about the rules of the road.
1) You will learn about safety equipment and what you are required to have on your boat before you undertake any boating excursion. This is very important because what you don’t have with you could make the difference between being able to handle a situation or not. Also, that outing for the day could cost you if the sheriff stops you to spot check your boat and fines you for not having all the safety equipment required for your specific boat.
2) You will learn that driving a boat is vastly different from driving a car. You are dealing with air and water currents. If you have never docked a boat you may think that it is easy, until that is, the current is pulling you in the opposite direction that you want to go. Understanding air and water currents will help you learn how to dock your boat.
3) Knowing how to work with lines and tying knots is part of boating. You have to be able to secure a boat properly. If your boat gets away, it is amazing how quickly the current will take it out of your reach and you will probably require the assistance of another boater to help you get to it. So learn your knots.
4) You will learn what the channel markers mean. We learned the hard way the first time we went out on a boat and ran aground outside the markers. We also had no clue what the red and green markers meant on the poles. This you also learn on the course.
5) There are speed limits on certain water ways but unlike the roads, they may or may not be posted. Ignorance may not be enough to get you out of a ticket.
6) Using charts for coastal navigation can be a life saver. It’s your road map that helps you stay away from the shallows and shows where all the markers and bridges are, and by using measurements you can calculate the distance and time it will take to get somewhere. It can be valuable tool for navigation.
7) Just like on the roads, there is the right of way. On a boating course you will learn who has the right of way and why.
8) Every boat should have a horn. You may hear one long toot or 2 short toot and so on, and you’ll learn what they mean.
9) There are boating regulations and laws that must be followed by all boaters, for example, (and I have seen this rule broken so many times) you are not allowed to sit on the bow of the boat with your feet hanging over board. There are many more regulations to learn and not knowing them can cost you.
10) Anchoring a boat is not just a matter of plopping it down to the sand. There is a mathematical technique applied to anchoring that has to do with the size and length of your boat. Knowing how to do this correctly will give you that extra insurance of knowing your boat is going nowhere until you want to move it.
There are different ways to enjoy pleasure boating such as the fast pace of ski boating or the slow pace of a trawler, kayaking or canoeing. In whatever way you want to do it, it is a good idea to know the rules of the road. Then you can avoid potential situations and get on with the fun of being out there with all that sky, sun, water, family and friends.
Have you ever enjoyed the pleasure of spending an afternoon boating on a lake or an ocean? If so, then you know how fun boating can be. You know that there is nothing quite like the feeling of being on the water and enjoying time in beautiful weather.
Boating is a great activity for many reasons. First, it is great because it allows people to be outside in the beauty of nature. There is no better way to spend a spring, summer or warm fall day than boating. Not only do you get to be outside, but you also get to enjoy being in and on the water. Boating enables you to enjoy the warmth and the sun. It is necessary and helpful for people to get outside and boating is one of the best ways to do that.
Boating also provides time for family and friends to gather and enjoy the company of one another. Busy families can get away from the rush of work and activities and enjoy a quiet day away from all distractions. Boating can be a perfect activity that combines rest, beauty and fun. Friends can come together for a day or a weekend and enjoy renewed friendship and conversation during a special boating trip.
A great thing about boating is that it includes several different ways to have fun. Boating allows you to enjoy the quiet and peace of anchoring at a spot on the water or you can enjoy the wind in your face as you speed from one side of the water to another. For many people, boating also means swimming, tubing, and even waterskiing. Once you are out on the water there are so many ways to enjoy the day. You can anchor the boat and spend hour after hour jumping into the water and swimming. More adventurous people will want to try out a tube or a waterski to enjoy boating even more. Some will love the thrill of watching the tubers or the waterskiers from the safety of the boat. Whatever water activities sound fun to you, boating is a great way to enjoy them all.
If you have never learned how to handle a boat you can take lessons and learn how to lead your friends or family in a boating adventure. If you do not own a boat and are not sure if purchasing one is right for you, look for a family member or friend to lend you theirs for a weekend boating excusion. In no time you will be so excited about boating that you will want to purchase your own. Your family and friends will look to you to provide the endless hours of outdoor fun.